Sunday, February 21, 2016

Spotlight: Thirst: Blood of my Blood by R.P. Channing- Guest Post

 
Hello lovelies!
 
I'm happy to feature debut author R.P. Channing and his novel Thirst: Blood of my Blood the blog today with a guest post. This book sounds quite interesting and I urge you all to check it out!

WITH BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHS
 
~ Kira Sutherland ~

After a near fatal accident (and getting cheated on by her 'boyfriend'), and beating up the lead cheerleader (with whom the boyfriend cheated...), and being labeled as having 'issues' in her school because she, uhm, sees ghosts, Kira is left with two choices:

1. Continue her 'therapy' (where she's told the ghost is a hallucination and also gets her legs ogled too often...)

Or

2. Go to Starkfield Academy, a boarding school for "Crazies and Convicts" (as the social media sites call them.)

She chooses the latter...

~ Cory Rand ~

Cory Rand has not had an easy life. His mother died in a car accident when he was twelve, and so did his mother's best friend...sort of. You see, Janice made a promise to take care of Cory just before she died, and so she lingers. Undead. A ghost that watches out for him.

Brought up in an abusive home, Cory quickly falls into a life of disreputable behavior. After his third offense (which was prompted by a girl, as usual - he has a weakness) he's left with two choices:

1. Be tried as an adult and share a cell with a guy named Bubba (he thinks...)

Or

2. Go to Starkfield Academy, which Cory is pretty sure is run by vampires. But, hey, at least he'll get an education.

He chooses the latter...

It's at Starkfield that Kira meets Cory Rand, a boy with an insatiable Rage who sees ghosts, too. As well as other things, other things from his past, things that confuse him, things like fire and witches and demons.

Things he's always ignored.

Until now.

Add on Goodreads or purchase on Amazon!
 
WHY YA?

Young Adult is the one genre where a writer is pretty much free to do anything he likes. 

Too many people look at the “Young” part of Young Adult and miss completely the “Adult” part. 
Young Adult and MG are galaxies apart in content. Young Adult is the one genre read far and wide by almost all age groups. 

We were all seventeen once (some of us still so), and Young Adult appeals to a market that knows what it’s like to be seventeen. That’s pretty much everyone who reads. 

The stories deal with issues that we, as a adults, face every day. And it deals with them tastefully. 
Young Adult stays firmly within boundaries that I feel comfortable with as a writer, without reducing anything in the quality of the story. 

Some of the scariest scenes I ever read were in The Hunger Games. I had chills. And yet, when I move into Horror itself as a genre, I find all the gore to be in bad taste. I lose interest, and I’m even a little repulsed sometimes. 

Young Adult focuses on the story without getting into excessive details that we don’t really need in order to tell that story. The romance in YA is endearing, gentle, sweet, kind, loving. Who didn’t think Twilight was one of the most romantic books ever written?

A Young Adult author has free rein in many genres. He is not stuck too firmly into a classification such as “Fantasy” or “Romance” or “Horror” because YA can encompass all those genres and still remains “Young Adult.” There are people who liked Twilight and yet didn’t like The Host. They are both “Young Adult” but they are also in different sub-genres. 

I’m working on two stories right now, both in completely different genres, but both “Young Adult.” I’d hate to stay firmly within “Fantasy” or “Romance” or “Horror.” With YA, I can move around, I can act freely, I can write what I feel like writing, and write about characters that I look up to and that I’d like to be like. 

The age of YA characters is a magical age. Nobody likes moping character. Teenage characters don’t mope. They have spunk, verve, sass. 

In other words, they have all the qualities we find good in people.

And what is a story without good characters?


What a fab guest post! Really makes you think about the different YA sub-genre's. And for the record, I LOVED The Host! And I consider it Stephanie Meyer's masterpiece :)

R P Channing started writing three years ago, but never published anything even after churning out over a million words of fiction. Thirst: Blood of my Blood is the first book he dared to publish. When asked why, he said, “Because it’s the first thing I wrote that my wife actually enjoyed reading.” When not hammering away (most literally) at his keyboard, he can be found buried in a book, reading anything from romance to horror to young adult to non-fiction to comedy.
 
Visit R.P:
 
$20 Amazon Gift Voucher Giveaway
At the back of the book there is a giveaway link. Once the book hits fifty reviews on Amazon, one of those reviewers will win a $20 (US Dollars) Amazon Gift Voucher!
 

1 comment:

  1. I do like academy books and throw in some vampires? This cover is very eye catching. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo