Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Book Shelf: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff


Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black, murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattoed princess. He is a replacement - left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago when it was stolen away by the fey. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world. Mackie would give anything just to be normal, to live quietly amongst humans, practice his bass guitar and spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem, where he must face down the dark creatures and find his rightful place - in our world, or theirs.

Blurb from
Goodreads......


Review:

The Replacement was an easy enough book to read, although it was nothing exceptional. It was quick and easy with a decent, although not overly unique, plot. There were things about it I really enjoyed and things that I didn’t. I enjoyed the mythology and history behind the town of Gentry and in turn the story, but I admit that I found no real depth within the book. It’s filled with mystery and intrigue, but the characters are lackluster and I kept waiting for the moment when the book would grab me, but it never came.

It was interesting reading a book from a male’s POV; there isn’t enough books out there like that. Mackie was likeable, although not a real standout. He’s a decent person despite what he is, but I never really connected with him and while I understood his problems, I never really emphasised with him or felt for him in any way.
I also never felt the romance between him and Tate, nor did I love her. I felt no connection between them and it just felt as though they were going through the motions. I would have loved to have seen more sparks between them and essentially a reason for their relationship—I never saw this.

To me, the best part of this book was the relationships that Mackie had with his sister Emma and his best friend Roswell. Both knew that he was different and were the only ones who had loved him unconditionally throughout his life. Even his “parents” could never show him the love and acceptance that they did. They accepted him completely, especially Emma, and it was their love for him that allowed him to survive the way he did. They were self-sacrificing and selfless when it came to Mackie and nothing could taint the friendship he had with them

It was well written and you can tell that the author has put a lot of thought into it, but in the end to me it didn’t live up to its promise. For all the darkness and mystery within it, something felt missing and in turn the book fell flat.
However, while the world within this book doesn’t make up for all its lacking, it’s dark and eerie and this may appeal to some readers. If you’re still eager to read this book, then I recommend giving it a try and deciding for yourself.

Rating:
Source: Sent from Simon & Schuster Australia (Thanks guys!)
Format: Paperback
Expected AU Price: $16.99
Recommend: Only if you're a lover of this genre and type of book.
Recommend borrow or buy: Borrow
Cover: I do like this cover, even if the model has a bit of a Justin Bieber look going on with atht hair
Read sequel/continue with series: This is a stand alone novel

1 comment:

  1. I've had this at home for a while now but never read it yet. I've been into books wth male protagonists lately though so I'll have to read it soon. Great review.

    GIselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo