Saturday, September 10, 2011

Book Shelf: Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows #1) by Gena Showalter


Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden. To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with a need for vengeance. Only a magical timepiece connects the four royal heirs…and time is running out.

Nicolai the Vampire is renowned for his virility, but in a cruel twist of fate “The Dark Seducer” has become a sex slave in the kingdom of Delfina—stripped of his precious timepiece and his memory. All that remains is a primal need for freedom, revenge—and the only woman who can help him.

When the wanton vampire summons Jane Parker, she is helpless to obey. She's drawn to his dark sexuality and into his magical realm. But for this human, all is not a fairy tale. For saving Nicolai could mean losing the only man she's ever craved...

Blurb from Goodreads......



Reveiw:

I am eternally a fan of Gena Showalter. One of the queens of Paranormal Romance, I always devour her books and this one was no different. I admit I had a couple issues with the story, but overall I found it to be an easy, enjoyable read.
Loosely based on the fairytale of Alice in Wonderland, this was an exciting start to what looks to be an interesting series by 4 very different authors. This book was fast paced and action packed, with plenty of romance to keep me entertained. The love scenes were steamy and I enjoyed the characters, even if the romance seemed to move a bit fast at times. However, with this kind of PRN book I guess I should kind of expect that and this was an exciting, fun read.

I liked both Jane and Nicolai and they were easy to read about. It was nice seeing Nicolai’s reason for needing Jane change. He went from needing her to help him escape to simple needing her period! She became his reason for living so quickly and it was actually really sweet. I guess we all dream of a sexy man...and it doesn’t hurt if he’s a vampire, to sweet us off our feet.
Jane was an enjoyable enough heroine. She was intelligent and brave and I liked that she stood up to Nicolai and treated him as an equal. The only issue I had with Jane was that she was up and down over what she felt and how she acted at times. One minute she wanted answers for why she was suddenly in this strange world and the nest moment she accepted everything so easily as if none of this ever bothered her. I find this a bit unrealistic and a bit grating at times.
I admit that there was nothing overly unique about these characters. In a lot of ways they were the generic type you expect to read about in one of these types of books, but that didn’t make them any less fun to read about.

In all honesty, I’m excited about the prospect of this series. Each book will feature a different couple and be written by a different author and I expect that all the elements will be interwoven though each book. I’m intrigued and will defiantly be reading the next book and most likely the entire series......


Rating:
Source: I bought
Format: Paperback
Recommend: Yes
Recommend borrow or buy: Borrow
Cover: It's alright
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes, I'll read more.

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo