Friday, August 12, 2011

Book Shelf: Retribution (Dark-Hunter #20) by Sherrilyn Kenyon





Harm no human...

A hired gunslinger, William Jessup Brady lived his life with one foot in the grave. He believed that every life had a price. Until the day when he finally found a reason to live. In one single act of brutal betrayal, he lost everything, including his life. Brought back by a Greek goddess to be one of her Dark-Hunters, he gave his immortal soul for vengeance and swore he’d spend eternity protecting the humans he’d once considered prey.

Orphaned as a toddler, Abigail Yager was taken in by a family of vampires and raised on one belief- Dark-Hunters are the evil who prey on both their people and mankind, and they must all be destroyed. While protecting her adoptive race, she has spent her life eliminating the Dark-Hunters and training for the day when she meets the man who killed her family: Jess Brady.

A gun in the hand is worth two in the holster...

Jess has been charged with finding and terminating the creature who’s assassinating Dark-Hunters. The last thing he expects to find is a human face behind the killings, but when that face bears a striking resemblance to the one who murdered him centuries ago, he knows something evil is going on. He also knows he’s not the one who killed her parents. But Abigail refuses to believe the truth and is determined to see him dead once and for all.

Brought together by an angry god and chased by ancient enemies out to kill them both, they must find a way to overcome their mutual hatred or watch as one of the darkest of powers rises and kills both the races they’ve sworn to protect

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review: (Warning, contains some spoilers)

I love this series. It’s one of my all time faves and I tend to devour these books. This one was no different. I read it in less than two days, but while I was looking forward to it and while did enjoy it, I didn’t love it in the same way I have many of the other books in the series. In fact in a lot of areas I was disappointed.
This book was a little different than most of the others; the Cherokee references and ancient tales a far cry from the Dark Hunter books I’ve read in the past. I found I enjoyed learning about them and Abby’s and Jess’s pasts, but I still missed the DH of the past.

I liked both Jess and Abigail. Jess was a tough cowboy, with a sarcastic wit and no fear. Abby was a girl who’d lose so much of her life and who’d been lied to her entire life. I liked them both, but I didn’t love them the way I wanted to at times. I went into this book really, really wanting to love them, but I just couldn’t. While there’s wasn’t nothing overly wrong with them, they just didn’t appeal to me like I’m used to with Sherrilyn Kenyon’s heroes and heroines.
Regardless, I enjoyed Jess’s no fear and humour; he had me smiling at times and I liked his guns blazing approach and there were times I really appreciated Abby's strength. And I knew that, while the things she’d done had been influenced by others, they weren’t entirely her fault. Well, I mean, they were her fault in the end. She had done those things, but she’d been lied to and led to believe these horrible lies. She was sorry for what she’d done and wanted to make up for that. Still, at times, I found it too hard to connect with her and forgive her for her past actions.

I was also a tad disappointed because I didn’t feel the chemistry between Jess and Abby. Yes, they loved each other, but I didn’t really feel it all too much. There was only one sex scene and things just seemed a bit forced to me at times, which really had me disappointed. I missed the tension and attraction I’ve seen in a lot of the other books in this series. Considering the history these two were supposed to have shared it just fell flat to me. There was no spark and I saw no reason for why they felt like they did. It just seemed like their feelings happened, with no reason for them and that just didn’t sit well with me. Not when I know how amazing Sherrilyn Kenyon usually writes her romances.

The things I loved most about this book were the other characters in it, two in particular. Sasha has always been a favourite of mine ever since Zarek’s book oh, so long ago and it was great getting to see so much of him. The dialogue and interactions had me laughing and smiling. Kenyon has written some pretty amazing one-liners in her time and they just keep coming. All the interactions between Sasha and Zarek and even Jess had be smiling and enjoying the book. The second character that got to me was Ren. We haven’t seen him before (at least I don’t think we have or my minds off on a walk) but he seems like he has the potential to be a great character. It’s obvious he’s had a difficult past and I’ll add both he and Sasha to the list of people I’m DYING to see stories written about.

The best part of this book, the most touching scene is the very last chapter. The bonus scene at the very end will have all Dark Hunter fans wanting to shed a tear. It makes reading this book all worth it and I’d have bought this book just for that one scene......that scene where Ash and Tory’s son is born. It’s scary, and nerve wrackingly beautiful, but after everything Ash has been through and his part in all 20 books, this scene was one that I’ll never forget. Just when it seems all is lost, for Tory and his son, Artemis does for him the kindest thing she’s ever done. I swear I was ready to shed a tear at this touching scene that has the whole family gathered to welcome the little baby into the world.

Regardless of the few faults this book had in my eyes, for the most part it was a terrific thrill ride full of the action and adventure I’ve come to love in the Dark Hunter books. I can’t fault it too much seeing as I usually adore Kenyon’s books. Still, I’ll read the next book, and the next, and the next, because let’s face it---I’ll never give up this series.
One of the things that kinda shocked me in this book was in the final chapter, Ash’s son’s birth, where something is hinted at between Nick and Artemis. I mean, I know they’re together-ish, but the way Ash put it....like Nick is changing Artie, has got me thinking..... and a tad worried. Really? Nick and Artemis? No way!
Now please bring on the next book.....

Rating: **** stars
Source: I bought
Format: Paperback
Recommend: Yes, in the end, I guess I would.
Recommend borrow or buy: Buy
Cover: I don't mind it. I like the white of the background.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes, oh, yes.....

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo