Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Book Shelf: Infinity (Chronicles of Nick #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon




At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.

Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he’s next on the menu.

As if starting high school isn't hard enough. . .now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review: (Warning, contains some spoilers)

Sherrilyn Kenyon takes her Dark Hunter world in a whole new direction in this first book in her prequel YA series, featuring Nick.
Personally I loved it and can’t wait to see what’s going to befall Nick in this series. That being said, I have to say I’ve noticed some of the negative reviews this book has been getting and I think I know why. While I do think it’s possible to read this series without having read the Dark Hunter series first, I think you’re missing out if you don’t. Nick is such a prominent character in the DH series and so many things happen that affect him and a lot of the other characters that if you haven’t read DH, you won’t understand a lot of the references in this book or see how significant certain scenes and aspects of this book are. I think you emphasise with and understand Nick’s plight more too. You see how much certain things, with his mum and with this life, mean to the books in the DH series and it makes you see Nick clearer.

I must say there’s a real sense of “coming home” seeing Nick in this book. While fans of Dark Hunter will know exactly what I mean when I say I’ve missed and yearned for the Nick of old, those who don’t should know that Nick has quite a journey ahead of him. One that will change him and his world forever. Still, it was so great seeing that Nick’s smart mouth and sarcastic wit are there in him even at such a young age. I love seeing how much Nick loves his mum. It’s always been there in the DH series, but here we get to see a really deep version of it and see exactly where Nick has come from. Honestly, I think I wanted to cry from him when I saw how horrible people were being to him and how they consider him white trash. People can be so cruel, and Nick is a good, honourable young man, who is better than what they think and who just doesn’t deserve their cruelty. Nick has always been one of my fave DH characters, from the very first book, Night Pleasures, and even though he’s changed significantly lately, I still want him to be happy and I still adore him as a character.

I was shocked by so many things that transpired in this book. Things like “Ambrose” popping into the story and Nick meeting Simi so early on in his life (those of you who haven’t read DH aren’t aware of what Nick’s meeting Simi does in DH or the events that happen because of it, but trust me, it’s a big thing) really go against the history in the DH novels. Nick is literally living another life and experiencing things he didn’t in DH.
He’s still the brilliant, brilliant young man I came to love in the first few Dark Hunter books though and the new characters and even the old ones that we all love, Kyrian, Simi, Ash (*sobs*) and even Nick’s mum, all give this book the flavour and attitude that makes Kenyon’s books great.
This is a completely new world for a lot of the characters, especially Nick. Dealing with zombies and getting his powers this young are all going to be a challenge for our young hero and I for one wonder what this will mean for Nick and his place within the Dark Hunter novels. Will the events in this series affect him in that one? Will it change him and what’s to come?

Personally I’m dying to know and can’t wait to get my hands on the next book!!

Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes!
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: I like it....
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes!!

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo