Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Shelf: Angelfire (Angelfire #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton




When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review:

Courtney Allison Moulton creates a very unique and fascinating tale with her debut novel. With so many similar books out there saturating the YA market, Moulton has created something different with her world. Her creatures, reapers, are nothing like I’ve ever seen before and are a far cry from the types of Grim reapers and angels I’ve read about before. It’s always great to find a book where the enemy is unique and not something you’ve seen a dozen times. It helps keep you interested.
The book was fun and action packed, with plenty of fight sequences and bits of humour to keep you entertained.

Ellie is a really easy heroine to follow. She’s smart and brave considering everything she’s facing and she tackles things head on despite her fear and uncertainty. She’s normal enough, but she has a fire inside her and a sharp tongue, even with her enemies and particularly with Will. The two of them get along well and she’s quick to say things to him. Once of the things I found I liked most about Ellie is that she does grow considerably throughout this novel. Obviously she’s a teenage girl, but she’s so much more and she changes a great deal from the moment she firsts meets Will and learns about who she is, to the end of the novel where she faces Bastian for the first time.
I really liked the idea of Ellie’s reincarnations and I was really fascinated when we learnt what Ellie really this. Personally, I think she’s awesome and I think it’s great that despite the power she holds and her true identity she hasn’t let it go to her head or change her.

Apart from Ellie, there’s no way I couldn’t like Will. He’s not that different from a lot of the male leads out there in YA novels nowadays, but there’s still something oh, so likable about him. He’s such an honourable guy who stood by Ellie’s side for centuries and countless lifetimes and continues to drive her crazy. I love the guy. He’s so sexy, not to mention strong and fierce, ready to defend Ellie to the death, but he’s also vulnerable too. Will wants to do the best by Ellie, but is fighting what he feels with what he knows he should, or more importantly shouldn’t feel.
His relationship with Ellie is really sweet and the moments between them really make the book for me. Their interactions seem so natural; all those unknown lifetimes together shine through and I am vying for them 100 percent! What can I say....I’m a sucker for a forbidden romance.

There are a tonne of side characters, which I must admit I didn’t feel too much about. I liked them all, don’t get me wrong, and they had their purpose within the story, but no one jumped out at me. I liked Ellie’s mum. She was more understanding than I expected and you can see how much her daughter means to her. Ellie’s dad is another story, but I have a sneaky suspicion there may be a reason behind that.

There’s still an air of mystery that surrounds this book. For everything that happened in it we never really learned what plans Bastian has for the Enshi and what’s next now that the creature is at the bottom of the ocean.
This book is a great read. It has a few slow moments, but at others it really picks up and breezes through. This is an exciting start to what promises to be a great new trilogy and I can’t wait to get my hands on the sequel, Wings of the Wicked, next year!


Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: Brilliant! This cover is stunning.
Read sequel/continue with series: Oh, yes.

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this one as well. I liked Will because he was different from most guys in that he was actually a nice guy with the bad boy aloof of not being able to be together. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo